Fun with LILO and rEFIt: Resolving Boot Errors After an Upgrade
When debian is the only OS running on a machine, running apt-get update and apt-get upgrade works well.
Under my Mac/Debian dual boot setup, though, upgrading has always been something of a crap shoot.
The most recent problem was this error, after an upgrade and a reboot:
This solution was closest to my situation, and although the advice was helpful, I managed to fix mine with fewer steps:
- Boot the Mac partition (which, fortunately, was still working)
- Run Terminal, and use the
diskutil listcommand to find out where Linux was installed on hard drive (in my setup, it was
- Reboot, this time with the Debian install disc I used to install Debian originally
- Choose Advance Options -> Rescue Mode -> Shell mounted on /dev/sda3 (this saved me the effort of doing all the mounting described in steps 1 through 5 of the ubuntu forum solution)
/etc/lilo.conf(it looked correct, so I didn’t make and edits)
- Update lilo:
- Reboot (my mistake was doing this from the rescue mode shell, when I should have exited and rebooted out of the installer)
This time, when I chose Linux from the rEFIt menu, the kernal loaded normally (
/dev/sda3 was scanned because of an improper unmount, or lack thereof, but fsck did its job without incident), and my linux partition was usable again.